Student athletes must be given the best opportunity possible to strive for the highest athletic standards through the best preparation, motivation and support.The Athletic Department at Brighter Horizons Academy competes in Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (T.A.P.P.S.) programs for young men and women equally characterized by strong Islamic values. It is the belief of the Athletic Department that our staff and programs develop and hold the concept of the student athlete at the highest level of importance. Our student athletes will be at the core of departmental priorities and decisions. Our student athletes will be viewed as individuals first, students second, and only then as athletes. Our goal is to focus on producing high school graduates who embody the “entire person” principle – mind, body and soul.Excellence in high school athletic programs is determined by academic achievement in the classroom, as well as the development of character, maturity and a sense of fair play in athletic competition. Such excellence creates support for the school among its constituent groups including students, fans, alumni and friends at all levels of interest.
After School Sport Coaches 2017-2018
Finis Craddock- Varsity and Junior Varsity Boys Basketball Coach
- Garland native who played point guard for Garland High School
- Selected as McDonald’s All American nominee and received All Region and All District honors.
- Was awarded an athletic scholarship to play guard for Central Michigan University where he earned his degree in Sports Management.
- Coached youth basketball for a local AAU basketball team for four years.
- Currently teaches Health and PE at Hickman Elementary
Tamara Wilkett, High School Basketball and Volleyball Coach
Worked/coached under Garland Girls Basketball Association (GGBA), and Sellers Middle School in Garland Independent School District (GISD) for consecutive years in the past.
Played volleyball all through middle and high school.
Played basketball from five years old all the way through college.
Made First team all District twice while in high school.
Graduated in 2010 from Garland high school and went on to play college basketball at University of the Ozarks for four years.
Was ranked #9 in the American Southwest Conference in 3-pointers.
After graduating in 2014, she went overseas to further her career in Germany and Belgium.
Enjoys coaching the girls at BHA the most because they work hard everyday.
Jasmine Dawkins, Middle School Girls Basketball Coach and Varsity Basketball and Volleyball Assistant Coach
- Coached for Brighter Horizons Academy for two years.
Played basketball since she was 5 years old.
Point Guard for Garland High School
- Played with semi-pro team in the Summer before accepting a D1 basketball scholarship from Oklahoma Wesleyan University.
This is her third year doing what loves: Coaching youth basketball
Fun fact: she loves to travel and meet new people.
Carla Canty, Cross Country, Track & Field, Volleyball, and Basketball Coach
- Participated in sports from a very young age.
- Received a division 1 college scholarship in track and field from Boise State University.
- Studied IT and currently works as a computer programmer for Dallas County.
- She began creating and implementing programs and opportunities for youth and women to participate in sports.
- Currently involved with BHA as a coach as well as elementary and middle school sports coordinator.
Jasmine Yim, High School Assistant Volleyball Coach
This is her first year coaching volleyball.
- Played competitive volleyball for 7 years.
- Was captain of the BHA Varsity volleyball team since it began in 2012.
- Was the official captain when BHA was accepted into TAPPS for two years in a row.
- Won Honorable Mention All District in 11th grade and 2nd Team All District in 12th grade for BHA.
- Enjoys coaching volleyball because she feels like this is what her purpose is for BHA.
- Fun fact: She is planning on playing college volleyball at UTD in the Spring while also majoring in business management.