Our behavioral guidance counselors offer students and staff a safe and confidential space for social and emotional support. We take the physical, social, emotional, and academic health of our students seriously, and the guidance counselor is one pillar in the support of developing successful leaders.
- Serve as listeners and mentors to students and their families in times of need.
- Use individual and group counseling to help children reach developmental goals.
- Work with teachers to provide guidance.
- Offer meetings and session with parents if needed.
- Help in the process of referrals (outside assistance, GISD assessments, etc.)
- Coordinate motivational seminars such as-
- Anti-bullying awareness
- Drug-free awareness
- Internet safety
- Self-esteem promotion
- Develop campus-wide programs targeted to youth to discuss social and emotional health and coping with student life.
Some common issues that students face:
- Academic-Learning Issues
- Social Skills
- Juggling Life and Religion
- Leadership Skills
- Gender Relations
- Social Media
Meet our Behavioral Guidance Counselors
Zaira Abubaker was in BHA’s first graduating class of 2002. She earned a bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies from the University of Texas at Dallas along with a teaching certification. She taught in public school, IQA, and BHA for six years and earned her master’s in counseling from Southern Methodist University with an emphasis on play therapy.
3145 Medical Plaza Dr.,
Garland, TX 75044
“Brighter Horizons Academy is a model educational institution that produces generations of leaders to be successful in this life and the Hereafter.”
“Brighter Horizons Academy aims to develop practicing Muslim leaders who are lifelong learners that serve their diverse community and global society as respectful citizens.”