Our student guidance counselors offer students and staff a safe and confidential space for social and emotional support. We take the physical, social, emotional, and academic health of our students seriously, and the guidance counselor is one pillar in the support of developing successful leaders.
- Serve as listeners and mentors to students and their families in times of need.
- Use individual and group counseling to help children reach developmental goals.
- Work with teachers to provide guidance.
- Offer meetings and session with parents if needed.
- Help in the process of referrals (outside assistance, GISD assessments, etc.)
- Coordinate motivational seminars such as-
- Anti-bullying awareness
- Drug-free awareness
- Internet safety
- Self-esteem promotion
- Develop campus-wide programs targeted to youth to discuss social and emotional health and coping with student life.
Some common issues that
Juggling Life and Religion
Meet our School Guidance Counselors
Our student guidance department consists of two student guidance counselors.
Zaira Abubaker was in BHA’s first graduating class of 2002. She earned a bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies from the University of Texas at Dallas along with a teaching certification. She taught in public school, IQA, and BHA for six years and earned her master’s in counseling from Southern Methodist University with an emphasis on play therapy.
Isra Awad is also a BHA Alumni and was in the graduating class of 2010. She earned a bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Texas at Dallas. She then earned her license in counseling from the Masters of Counseling program at Southern Methodist University. Isra worked in various settings including private practice, hospitals, university clinics, and treatment centers.
If you have any questions for our guidance counselors, or wish to make an appointment, you can:
- call them at (972) 675-2062 Ext. 104
- email Isra Awad at firstname.lastname@example.org
- email Zaira Abubaker at email@example.com