Our academic counselors align and work with the Academy’s mission to support the academic achievement of all students to ensure they are prepared to become the next generation of parents, workers, leaders and citizens. Students need support, guidance and opportunities during this time of rapid growth and change. They will face unique and diverse challenges, both personally and developmentally, that have an impact on academic achievement. Our academic guidance counselors are devoted to meeting the needs of our high school students.
Through one-on-one counseling sessions,
our counselors aim to:
- Advise students and parents on high school programs that align with student goals.
- Provide workshops, classes, and special presentations that focus on career readiness and personal development.
- Facilitate the College Application Process and building leadership skills.
- Support students in identifying strengths and generating long-term goals,
The College Guidance Department also:
- Monitor student success by analyzing standardized test scores.
- Builds student graduation plans
- Coordinates Dual Credit and AP.
- Provides scholarship, volunteer, and internship guidance.
- Conduct student Advisory Sessions by grade level.
- Coordinates college visits for high school students
- Conducts resume writing and interview prep sessions.
Meet our College Guidance Counselor
Mehnaz Kafray received her BA in Secondary English Education and Masters in Educational Leadership with Principal Certification. She is currently the Academic Guidance Counselor and the Dual Credit Coordinator. Focusing primarily on college and career readiness, with over 10 years of experience as an educator, Mehnaz has great motivation to develop academically successful, strong, young Muslim leaders.
Zarena Jabbar received her MBA from Mills College Lorry L. Lokey Graduate School of Business in Oakland, California. She also received her Bachelors degree from Mills College in Political, Legal and Economic Analysis with emphasis on Economics; as a Bill Gates Millennium Scholar. Zarena is the 10th & 11th grade Academic Counselor. She strives to instill motivation, responsibility and respect within the framework of Islamic values in the minds and heart of our aspiring future leaders.
3145 Medical Plaza Dr.,
Garland, TX 75044
“Brighter Horizons Academy is a model educational institution that produces generations of leaders to be successful in this life and the Hereafter.”
“Brighter Horizons Academy aims to develop practicing Muslim leaders who are lifelong learners that serve their diverse community and global society as respectful citizens.”